• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Aid and Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vivian0429

What is the name of your state?California

I am a junior in college and have always done my own taxes. Since i don't know much about them, every year i try and answer all questions to the best of my knowledge. My question is how does financial aid figure into my income. My entire school at the UC is basically paid for by grants, scholarships, and one loan. I'm scared if i include this in my income it will look like i'm making a bunch of money when in fact all my financial aid goes to schooling, supplies, books, rent, etc. How do i handle this situation, and can i get in trouble for not including financial aid as a source of income on previous tax returns. What does it mean to Claim something, and how does financial aid figure into my income tax returns? Please Help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">