• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finding tax info ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ladynred

What is the name of your state?TN

Is there any way to find out if tax returns were filed for someone for 1989 & 90 ? If so, how do we find it and how would we know whether or not it was filed by the taxpayer or by the IRS because the taxpayer didn't file a return for those years ??

Thanks !

Ladynred

Excellent, thank you !!!

So many forms.. I might never have found that one .. LOL.

Hope they have 1989 and 1990 stuff !

Ladynred

one more question, Loku...

I d/l the form you told me about.

My next question is this..
The form says to mail the request to the IRS office where the original return would have been sent (in this case New York City).

IF the IRS filed a return because the taxpayer failed to, would the processing center still have the records to make copies of ?? I don't know how that works :(

Thanks !!!

L

loku

The IRS may have determined the amount of tax that should have been paid, but they do not actually file a return, so if the taxpayer did not file a return, there will be no return on record. If the IRS did determine a tax, then the taxpayer can now file a return and ask for a refund if the tax is less than the IRS figured and if he paid the tax.

Ladynred

Thanks Loku.. that's about what I figured.

Is there any way to find out what the IRS assessed for the tax if the taxpayer didn't file the return ??

I've called the SSA, I understand they can provide a detailed report that would show what was withheld. He's going to need that information to file the old returns.. which he will do :) The employers he had from 89 and 90 have merged/change hands/ etc since then and they can't produce w-2's for those years :(

This is a real morass... glad I've always filed mine !!!!

L

loku

Presumably the IRS issued an assessment. That document would have the details of how the tax was assessed. The taxpayer should contact the IRS and ask for a copy of the assessment with details.

You can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

If you can get no help that way, you should contact your Taxpayer Advocate. The Taxpayer Advocate represents your interests and concerns within the IRS by protecting your rights and resolving problems that have not been fixed through normal channels. While Taxpayer Advocates cannot change the tax law or make a technical tax decision, they can clear up problems that resulted from previous contacts and ensure that your case is given a complete and impartial review.
To contact your Taxpayer Advocate:

• Call the Taxpayer Advocate at 1-877-777-4778.
• Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.
• Call, write, or fax the Taxpayer Advocate office in your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">