• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Time Home Buyer Credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssk211

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I married a man in 2001 that already owned a house. We divorced in 2008 and I didn't not receive any type of "buy out" for any portion of the house. I bought a house last July and want to take the 1st time home buyer credit - am I allowed to?

Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I married a man in 2001 that already owned a house. We divorced in 2008 and I didn't not receive any type of "buy out" for any portion of the house. I bought a house last July and want to take the 1st time home buyer credit - am I allowed to?

Thanks
There are different schools of thought on this, but we recently received direction from the IRS that once the divorce was final, you became eligible to be considered a first time homebuyer.

ssk211

Thanks LdiJ,

However, can you tell me how you got that information? I was finally able to get through to the IRS via telephone and the person that I talked to had to "look it up" and then told me that I couldn't take the credit because my marriage "imputed" the home ownership on me.

LdiJ

Thanks LdiJ,

However, can you tell me how you got that information? I was finally able to get through to the IRS via telephone and the person that I talked to had to "look it up" and then told me that I couldn't take the credit because my marriage "imputed" the home ownership on me.
I am a tax professional.

The head of the IRS for our state sends out weekly emails to all of the tax offices in our state and each email addresses a tax topic.

That was one of his recent topics.

In addition, our office got the same information from the NATP (National Association of Tax Professionals) who also got it from the IRS.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">