• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

first-time home buyer tax credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hacostaj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MICHIGAN

Hi, I'm currently under an H1-B visa. Does anyone know if I would be able to apply (and receive) the new ($8,000) first-time home buyer tax credit for 2009?
I've read all the information on the IRS website but all it says is that non-resident aliens are not allowed to receive the credit. For tax purposes I've always been considered a resident alien (because I meet the substancial presence test), so does that mean I can get the credit?

Thanks for all the help.

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MICHIGAN

Hi, I'm currently under an H1-B visa. Does anyone know if I would be able to apply (and receive) the new ($8,000) first-time home buyer tax credit for 2009?
I've read all the information on the IRS website but all it says is that non-resident aliens are not allowed to receive the credit. For tax purposes I've always been considered a resident alien (because I meet the substancial presence test), so does that mean I can get the credit?

Thanks for all the help.
I just followed your thread over from Immigration.. I tend to think like you do, that you are eligible for the credit. NRAs would be property owners who live outside the US in this case.

But you know what? Unlike USCIS, the IRS phone people are really helpful and actually accurate. Why don't you give them a call and ask? They were very helpful with researching a complex foreign pension question I had, and very thorough.

hacostaj

Thanks evcalyptos.

I tried calling the IRS but all I get are recorded messages I can't get through to talk to an actual person. Is there a number you have where I might be able to speak with a person? Or where might I find such a number? (I already called the general IRS number as well as the local brach in Detroit)

Thanks again!

evcalyptos

Sorry, I just spit my lunch on my computer screen reading this.
lol, I thought that might get a rise. For comparison's sake, you'd have to have experienced US immigration to appreciate that the IRS is 'helpful'!
The USCIS phone line is generally called the MisInformation Line. Call 3 times, get 3 different answers (usually none of them correct).

Thanks evcalyptos.

I tried calling the IRS but all I get are recorded messages I can't get through to talk to an actual person. Is there a number you have where I might be able to speak with a person? Or where might I find such a number? (I already called the general IRS number as well as the local brach in Detroit)

Thanks again!
How to Contact the IRS
I've used the top link to reach real people. Your local office wasn't helpful?
When you do reach them, it might be better to start out with you being on a 'skilled worker visa" instead of assuming they will understand H-1B.

LdiJ

Thanks evcalyptos.

Thanks again!
Call 1-800-829-1040. Select the menu option that says something about having questions regarding your personal account. That will get you to a live individual, but you will likely have to hold for quite some time.

I am uncertain if you would qualify for the credit. Most refundable credits are only available to US citizens and green card holders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">