• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Time Homebuyer Tax Rebate Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mersailles

I live in Nevada and have a question about the first time homebuyer tax rebate from 2008.

In December of 2008 we bought a home. However, the loan is solely in my in-laws names as they could get a much better rate than we could. We have made 100% of the payments and we are also on the title of the house, added after we closed.

My question is can we claim the 2008 first time homebuyer credit? When I did our taxes last year I was told we could not because of the loan being in my in-laws name (they would not qualify for the tax rebate if it matters), but this year I have had several people tell me I can.

Also, I believe we were not officially added to title until January of 2009 although the house closed in December 2008. Someone said we should be able to claim the 2009 $8 amount since that is when we were officially owners (co-owners, my in-laws are also on the title)

I would love some advice on what to do in this situation or if there is anything we can do. Thank you

LdiJ

I live in Nevada and have a question about the first time homebuyer tax rebate from 2008.

In December of 2008 we bought a home. However, the loan is solely in my in-laws names as they could get a much better rate than we could. We have made 100% of the payments and we are also on the title of the house, added after we closed.

My question is can we claim the 2008 first time homebuyer credit? When I did our taxes last year I was told we could not because of the loan being in my in-laws name (they would not qualify for the tax rebate if it matters), but this year I have had several people tell me I can.

Also, I believe we were not officially added to title until January of 2009 although the house closed in December 2008. Someone said we should be able to claim the 2009 $8 amount since that is when we were officially owners (co-owners, my in-laws are also on the title)

I would love some advice on what to do in this situation or if there is anything we can do. Thank you
I don't think that you are going to qualify. If you purchased the house at all, you purchased it from your inlaws, and anyone purchasing from a related party is not entitled to the credit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">