• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a "Flat Tax" Legal on Profit Sharing Checks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

warpaint

What is the name of your state?
Iowa
Our company just informed us today, that they are now going to use a "flat tax" calculation method for figuring Federal and State (IA) withholdings on our bonus and profit sharing checks. They state in their letter to us, that this is mandated by the IRS? I currently claim 4 which means less money taken out for me, but this flat rate is 25%, meaning that I lose 1/4 pay right off the top. How can they just out of the blue, take out more than I stipulated on my W4? I would of course get back any overpayment at tax time, but it puts a heck of a hit on my monthly income. Getting it back at tax time doesn't buy groceries or help pay bills for 11 months of the year? Am I over-reacting? Is this legal and is there a way around it? I also liked getting the letter today 1/14/05, and the "greeting" at the top of the page states "effective January 1st, 2005. Talk about dropping a bombshell on everyone! Any advice or info would certainly be appreciated!!
Thanks so much!!
Douglas

Snipes5

Withholding from bonuses is indeed mandated at 25%. I'm betting your company wasn't aware of this before, and was just "politely informed" of this by the IRS (along with fines), and so they are complying.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">