• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

florida, Mass or RI? Where do I file?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bmalachowski

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rhode Island

I am trying to help my girlfriend file her taxes, but I do not know to which state(s) she needs to file.

She recently moved to Rhode Island, but has not yet become a RI resident. Technically she is still a Florida resident. We move this year (in June) from Massachusetts to Rhode Island. However, she has worked for all of 2009 in Massachusetts.

So where does she need to file? Only Mass has withheld state and local taxes from her check, but does it also matter that he lived in Rhode Island at the end of the year? And what about Florida?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rhode Island

I am trying to help my girlfriend file her taxes, but I do not know to which state(s) she needs to file.

She recently moved to Rhode Island, but has not yet become a RI resident. Technically she is still a Florida resident. We move this year (in June) from Massachusetts to Rhode Island. However, she has worked for all of 2009 in Massachusetts.

So where does she need to file? Only Mass has withheld state and local taxes from her check, but does it also matter that he lived in Rhode Island at the end of the year? And what about Florida?
Florida has no state income tax therefore FL is irrelevant.

She was a part year MA resident and should file a part year return for MA.

Whether or not something needs to be filed for RI depends on exactly when she moved to RI. However, I suspect that the part year return for MA, claiming the MA income, is all that needs to be filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">