• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreign earned income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

himiko

I am a US citizen living and working in Tokyo, Japan, for a Japanese company. This is my first year of filing taxes in this status and having to complete forms 2555 and 1116. I have some questions that perhaps someone could help me with.
I don't actually receive a "W2" but I do get an earnings statement... I suspect I report that just as if it were a W2?
The instructions for the forms by the IRS are not much help. My company pays part of my rent, although I don't receive anything such as a 1099 and nothing about rent is noted on my wage and earnings statement, I suspect that I also need to report that portion as part of my "gross foreign source income." Am I correct?
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">