• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

foreign income - foreign tax credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dinmir

I am a Dutch citizen moving to Massachusetts (permanently), and was wondering if someone could give me their point of view on the following situation:

I am a partner in a small Dutch company. The work I continue to do for the company can all be done from a remote location (Massachusetts in my case).

How can I prevent from being taxed twice (The Netherlands and the U.S.) on the income I get from the Dutch company?

I know there is a tax treaty between The Netherlands and the U.S. , and the U.S. has a foreign tax credit option but I have a hard time figuring all this out.

Some say that because the company is registered in The Netherlands I have to pay taxes over that income there, and then apply for a foreign tax credit in the U.S. for that same income? Will I be eligible for a foreign tax credit in my situation?

Ofcourse the better scenario would be that I don't have to pay taxes in The Netherlands over that income. Unfortunately, from what I understood this is likely not to be the case because I am a partner in a company which is registered in The Netherlands.

Does anyone have experience with similar cases?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">