• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreign individual iOS developer legal issue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alayouni

First of all apologies for the duplicate, I'm new to this forum and I just thought my question might be relevant in the Tax Law forum.

Back to the subject, I worked in the US for 18 months under a J-1 visa as a trainee in the past, and I used to pay taxes during my stay. Last February 2014, I had to leave the US due to visa expiration, but a couple months prior to my departure I created an iOS developer account using my US bank account and my old contact details in the US, in addition to my SSN which I'm assuming might have expired after I left.

Now I'm back to my country Tunisia, and I'm worried if I contact Apple to update my contact details they might shutdown my account due to legal issues since I'm probably no longer considered a US person. My US bank account is still operational though, but I haven't updated my contact details there neither.

My question is: what would be the best option for me:

- Keep my contact details as is, stay out of trouble and just submit my new app to the app store which might generate some revenue. But in this case do I run any legal risks? Given that I have paid for my developer account and registered when I was still in the US.

- Update my contact details with both my US bank (Wells Fargo) and Apple? And if so what are the chances to lose my account(s).

I am attaching a screen shot for my tax agreement with Apple, in which I confirmed that I'm a US person with the contact details and the SSN that used to be valid when I was in the US.

Any guidance would be most appreciated!

alayouni

Hi Zigner,

I haven't actually contacted Apple on the subject, because I'm worried if I do they might shutdown my account for legal reasons. I've heard if I'm operating from outside the US but basically doing business inside the US I might run into import/export tax or legal issues, which is what intrigues me the most. I'm trying to be careful and not make a wrong move that would take my account away.

For more details, below are a couple links to:

- a screenshot to the tax agreement form with Apple: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxza7rgnAj04NDNUeWQyUUVJM3c/edit?usp=sharing

- the full agreement in pdf format, which is quiet long but maybe if you're familiar with laws you might have ways to access relevant information quickly without having to read the full form. The link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxza7rgnAj04WTRaeVNVOHllZDA/edit?usp=sharing

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi Zigner,

I haven't actually contacted Apple on the subject, because I'm worried if I do they might shutdown my account for legal reasons. I've heard if I'm operating from outside the US but basically doing business inside the US I might run into import/export tax or legal issues, which is what intrigues me the most. I'm trying to be careful and not make a wrong move that would take my account away.

For more details, below are a couple links to:

- a screenshot to the tax agreement form with Apple: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxza7rgnAj04NDNUeWQyUUVJM3c/edit?usp=sharing

- the full agreement in pdf format, which is quiet long but maybe if you're familiar with laws you might have ways to access relevant information quickly without having to read the full form. The link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxza7rgnAj04WTRaeVNVOHllZDA/edit?usp=sharing

I'm sorry that my prior post wasn't as clear as I had intended.

This is a contractual matter that you will need to discuss with Apple.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">