• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreign Tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jaoanna

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi everyone,

I am helping my mom to do her income tax but I have encounter some confusion.. I am using e-file and I do not know which federal and state form I suppose to continue and use.

My mom is a NYC resident ( not yonker) and she has NO income in NYC. Yet, the only income source in the year of 2006 is from Foreign country, and my mom had paid the tax in that country. Although this year tax deadline has pass in the US, the foreign country tax paper work has just came now to us so we are preparing for the tax 2006. She had two dependent last year and her marriage statue is divorced. Can I still use the form 1040?
(She has, though, some banking interest earned.)

Thank you very much

Anna

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi everyone,

I am helping my mom to do her income tax but I have encounter some confusion.. I am using e-file and I do not know which federal and state form I suppose to continue and use.

My mom is a NYC resident ( not yonker) and she has NO income in NYC. Yet, the only income source in the year of 2006 is from Foreign country, and my mom had paid the tax in that country. Although this year tax deadline has pass in the US, the foreign country tax paper work has just came now to us so we are preparing for the tax 2006. She had two dependent last year and her marriage statue is divorced. Can I still use the form 1040?
(She has, though, some banking interest earned.)

Thank you very much

Anna
I think that it would probably be in your mom's best interest to use a tax professional to prepare her taxes.

abezon

Ditto. Figuring out the 1040 foreign tax credit is hard enough. Figuring out the NY version is worse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">