• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreign tax credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Msjes

What is the name of your state? VA. I had about $330 foreign tax withheld from forgein stock dividends paid in '06. Do you think I could simply take a $300 foreign tax credit on my '06 fed. tax return rather than completing Form 1116 to calculate the credit based on the entire $330. Up to $300 can be taken without completing Form 116. Or would I likely have a problem because the foreign tax on my 1099 -Divs would not comport with that on my tax return (even though I'd be claiming less than I actually paid)? Thanks.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? VA. I had about $330 foreign tax withheld from forgein stock dividends paid in '06. Do you think I could simply take a $300 foreign tax credit on my '06 fed. tax return rather than completing Form 1116 to calculate the credit based on the entire $330. Up to $300 can be taken without completing Form 116. Or would I likely have a problem because the foreign tax on my 1099 -Divs would not comport with that on my tax return (even though I'd be claiming less than I actually paid)? Thanks.
What's the big deal about filling out the 1116? In the long run it would simply be wiser to do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">