• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forgiven debt from a relative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kymm87

My grandmother loaned me money to purchase a house she owned. I paid a monthly mortage and she gifted me the $12k maximum amount each year which was taken off the principal each year. She passed away, and in her Will she forgave the remaining debt and the property is now mine. Will I be taxed on the forgiven loan as income?

LdiJ

My grandmother loaned me money to purchase a house she owned. I paid a monthly mortage and she gifted me the $12k maximum amount each year which was taken off the principal each year. She passed away, and in her Will she forgave the remaining debt and the property is now mine. Will I be taxed on the forgiven loan as income?
No, because it was an inheritance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">