• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Form 1040X for First Time Homebuyer Credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VA

I filed an amended return for 2010 tax year to include my first time homebuyer credit info on 2/20/11. I mailed it paper with a tracking number. I confirmed receipt of the return.

Today I called the 'Where's my Refund' telephone number provided on the website to be informed by a 'representative' that my amended return has been mailed BACK to me on 3/23/11. But she is unable to advise why since the return is not in the system.

Do they do that??? Mail them BACK?? and if so, for what reasons?? My return was professionally prepared.

Thank you.

LdiJ

VA

I filed an amended return for 2010 tax year to include my first time homebuyer credit info on 2/20/11. I mailed it paper with a tracking number. I confirmed receipt of the return.

Today I called the 'Where's my Refund' telephone number provided on the website to be informed by a 'representative' that my amended return has been mailed BACK to me on 3/23/11. But she is unable to advise why since the return is not in the system.

Do they do that??? Mail them BACK?? and if so, for what reasons?? My return was professionally prepared.

Thank you.
It could be any number of reasons. It could be as simple as you forgot to sign it, or they could be saying that you left information out, or they could have denied you the credit.

Wait until you get it back, then address whatever is wrong.

tranquility

I agree there is no way to guess until the OP gets something from the IRS. But, I've not had things sent back either. That's why I didn't answer. There does seem something odd here.

And so I called them again, just for fun...and the rep at the IRS center tells me that she can't even tell me what was on the letter...

Furthermore, it's been 12 business days since they say they sent it and still nothing...

So I asked them to resend the letter, and she says she's unable to process my request at this time...

*facepalm

I have no idea where to go from here.

What if I never get anything back from them??

Should I contact my local taxpayer advocate service?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">