• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Form 3903 (Moving Expenses)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bowers06

I quit one job in San Diego, CA and moved myself to Austin, TX where I would start another job with a different company. I received no kind of moving reimbursements and paid for it all on my own out of pocket. I made the move in January of 2008 and have been working since then from March through the end of the year.

This form makes it appear that you have to be with the same company who relocates you elsewhere.

Can I use this form given the information I provided?

davew128

The reason you can't find an answer to that question is because the reason for the move is wholly irrelevant to the deductibility of the moving expenses. You either meet the listed criteria for deducting the expenses or you don't, and reason for moving isn't on the list.

LdiJ

I quit one job in San Diego, CA and moved myself to Austin, TX where I would start another job with a different company. I received no kind of moving reimbursements and paid for it all on my own out of pocket. I made the move in January of 2008 and have been working since then from March through the end of the year.

This form makes it appear that you have to be with the same company who relocates you elsewhere.

Can I use this form given the information I provided?
No, the form doesn't make it appear that you have to be with the same company who relocates you elsewhere.

Get yourself to a tax professional. Most likely you do qualify to claim the moving expenses but a professional will not only verify that, but make sure that you do it properly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">