• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Form 8332

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sandwalk

What is the name of your state? IOWA

I am doing my taxes on Turbo Tax and filed them electronically. When through it told me that I had to have a form 8332 filled out from my ex-wife saying that I am able to claim my son on my taxes. In our divorce decree it states that we claim him every other year and this is my year. In other years I have just sent a copy of that part of my divorce decree and that was good enough. I am wondering if I have to have this form filled out by my ex or if the decree stating this will be enough. Also, if I filed electronically...how and where do I get the form to the IRS?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

LdiJ

Sandwalk said:
What is the name of your state? IOWA

I am doing my taxes on Turbo Tax and filed them electronically. When through it told me that I had to have a form 8332 filled out from my ex-wife saying that I am able to claim my son on my taxes. In our divorce decree it states that we claim him every other year and this is my year. In other years I have just sent a copy of that part of my divorce decree and that was good enough. I am wondering if I have to have this form filled out by my ex or if the decree stating this will be enough. Also, if I filed electronically...how and where do I get the form to the IRS?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
The divorce decree is sufficient. You wait until/if the IRS asks you for proof. You send it to them then. Unless your ex also claims the child, or unless you are audited, they won't ask you for proof.

Sandwalk

Just one more question. Would it be a good idea to send a certified letter to the ex just to inform her that I have claimed my son on my taxes so that there are no problems later....she is the type to try to claim him even though it is my year.

abezon

Can't hurt to let her know you're claiming him this year. Also, the IRS has changed its mind (again) & now they want the 8332 or copy of decree sent with the return. If you file electronically, there should be somewhere in the software you can say you have paper documents or attachments to send. You'll end up filing form 8352 with the W-2s & decree attached.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">