• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forming S-corp: how to adjust estimated taxes based on self-employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandhyaepeter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Hello,

I worked as an independent contractor last year. Now I am forming an S-corp to try to reduce some of the self-employment tax burden. However, I need to pay estimated taxes on April 15 based on my last year's tax. Since I will be working for the S-corp as an employee starting later this year, I think my estimated tax payment calculations will not be right. So how do I adjust my estimated taxes to match my future earnings? Any other relevant info on this situation is appreciated.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Hello,

I worked as an independent contractor last year. Now I am forming an S-corp to try to reduce some of the self-employment tax burden. However, I need to pay estimated taxes on April 15 based on my last year's tax. Since I will be working for the S-corp as an employee starting later this year, I think my estimated tax payment calculations will not be right. So how do I adjust my estimated taxes to match my future earnings? Any other relevant info on this situation is appreciated.
What you will need to do, is pay yourself a reasonable salary via the S-corporation, with proper withholding (using a payroll service is very cost efficient and easy) any profits over and above your reasonable salary will not be subject to self employment taxes.

Therefore, you only need to be concerned about estimated payments for the time period in 2009 that you were not an S-corp, and for whatever profit you anticipate having, over and above your salary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">