• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forms 1095-A and 1095-B

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edednon

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania resident. Tax year 2015.
Receive 1095-A form for my wife. It shows full coverage for January to October, half month of November (based on the dollar amount), and no coverage for December 2015.
She applied for Medicaid (government sponsored) in October , but the coverage itself did not start until November 2015. Forms 1095-B shows full coverage for October, November, and December 2015. Yes, she did buy health insurance through marketplace from January to first half of the month of November 2015, since she knew that coverage from Medicaid won't be available till the second half of the month of November 2015. So it looks like there are 2 months of coverage overlapped (while in reality no coverage overlapped).

My son got coverage from CHIP from January to September, and from October to December 2015 from Medicaid (form 1095-B shows coverage only for the month October, November, and December 2015).

From January to June 2015 I had coverage from job. I lost my job in the middle of July 2015 due to plant closed. I got coverage from Medicaid from August to December 2015 (form 1095-B shows coverage for August to December).

When doing tax filing using tax software, there's a section where I need to fill out info from form 1095-A (belong only to my wife), and I did. Also there's a section titled "Health Insurance - PTC - Minimum Essential Coverage Eligibility" with a question: "Were any of the covered individuals eligible for minimum essential coverage (MEC) from a source outside the Marketplace, at any time during 2015?" However it does not provide separate question for every individual. So I don't know for whom the question is for. I would assume it's for my wife, since she's the only one who received subsidy through marketplace. It's strange though since usually it's clear to whom a question is given. (I also use other tax software for comparison, which does not even that question or section).
Marking 3 months (October, November, and December) in this section reduce the refund amount for about $350.00

While receiving bigger refund is always nice, I don't want to create problem by entering wrong information.

I need an advice about this matter. I'm sorry for the long words.
Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

Eddy

LdiJ

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania resident. Tax year 2015.
Receive 1095-A form for my wife. It shows full coverage for January to October, half month of November (based on the dollar amount), and no coverage for December 2015.
She applied for Medicaid (government sponsored) in October , but the coverage itself did not start until November 2015. Forms 1095-B shows full coverage for October, November, and December 2015. Yes, she did buy health insurance through marketplace from January to first half of the month of November 2015, since she knew that coverage from Medicaid won't be available till the second half of the month of November 2015. So it looks like there are 2 months of coverage overlapped (while in reality no coverage overlapped).

My son got coverage from CHIP from January to September, and from October to December 2015 from Medicaid (form 1095-B shows coverage only for the month October, November, and December 2015).

From January to June 2015 I had coverage from job. I lost my job in the middle of July 2015 due to plant closed. I got coverage from Medicaid from August to December 2015 (form 1095-B shows coverage for August to December).

When doing tax filing using tax software, there's a section where I need to fill out info from form 1095-A (belong only to my wife), and I did. Also there's a section titled "Health Insurance - PTC - Minimum Essential Coverage Eligibility" with a question: "Were any of the covered individuals eligible for minimum essential coverage (MEC) from a source outside the Marketplace, at any time during 2015?" However it does not provide separate question for every individual. So I don't know for whom the question is for. I would assume it's for my wife, since she's the only one who received subsidy through marketplace. It's strange though since usually it's clear to whom a question is given. (I also use other tax software for comparison, which does not even that question or section).
Marking 3 months (October, November, and December) in this section reduce the refund amount for about $350.00

While receiving bigger refund is always nice, I don't want to create problem by entering wrong information.

I need an advice about this matter. I'm sorry for the long words.
Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

Eddy
Your wife had insurance for the entire year, and therefore the tax return should reflect that. It doesn't matter that part of it was from the marketplace and part of it was from Medicaid. If you cannot figure out how to make the software reflect that then you either need to consult the software company or you need to use a tax professional.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">