• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foundation Repair - Repair or Improvement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pketner

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I sold my main home in Nov. 2006. I rented it for the last year and 8 months. When my renters moved out it needed substantial foundation repairs which I made. All the while having a "For Rent" sign out front and taking calls from potential renters. After having no success with the applicants I decided to sell.

My question is does the foundation repair get reported as a repair expense on the rental side or should it be considered a basis adjustment on the Sale of Home side.

Thanks so much for any assistance.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I sold my main home in Nov. 2006. I rented it for the last year and 8 months. When my renters moved out it needed substantial foundation repairs which I made. All the while having a "For Rent" sign out front and taking calls from potential renters. After having no success with the applicants I decided to sell.

My question is does the foundation repair get reported as a repair expense on the rental side or should it be considered a basis adjustment on the Sale of Home side.

Thanks so much for any assistance.
I would consider it a basis adjustment. Foundation repairs, even in a rental situation would generally add to basis and be depreciated rather than being considered "repairs".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">