• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Freelance Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

centx1

What is the name of your state? Texas

I'm completely confused on what I should do for my taxes on my freelance web services that I do in my spare time. Last month I made $800 from a few clients, no more than $300 each. I'm under 18 and have never filed an income tax return before, so I need some advice, and hopefully quick too.

Some Random Guy

The first year you file taxes, and you are running your own business. What an adventure!

I would suggest professional help. Take all records of normal employee wages (if you have a day job), interest and dividends, plus your web earnings. Then add all records of expenses for your web business. Advertising, internet connection, software - things you use exclusively for your business.

Take these to a local CPA along with a couple hundred dollars and see what he can do for you.

I would not suggest doing this on your own the first time. Once you get it done professionally this year, you may want to do it on your own or using TurboTax (with Schedule C option) next year.

Nekolas

Freelancer tax help

I realize it's a bit late in the game but I just finished my taxes last night and used Taxbrain which was a godsend. This was the first year I've filed as a freelancer and, after being referred by a couple of other friends of mine who are also freelancing, I went with Taxbrain. Very intuitive. It practically does your taxes for you. I thought I was going to owe and with the help I got from Taxbrain, actually wound up getting a return. Can't recommend them enough if you have yet to file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">