• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Freelance Web Designer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tammyhart

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping have simple answers.

My mom helps me files my taxes, she's a wiz, but there are a couple of things she's never dealt with. I am a freelance web designer, and I receive about 99% of my income online through paypal.

The first question is: Payments I receive from other countries are transferred to US dollars by paypal, and I pay a fee for that. But do I count those funds on my federal income taxes since they came from foreign employers? I've found an answer to this question for those that were in that country or lived in that country when they made the money, but I never left the US. I deal with these people through email.

The second question is: None of my income came from Alabama, the state where I live. Do I have to file state taxes for all the states where I received payments from, and do I claim that income on my Alabama state taxes? Again, I didn't go to these states to work, that's just the location of the employers.

tranquility

You have a complex tax situation. I recommend you see a tax professional who will need to review the precise facts. You may very well need to pay taxes in the countries you are getting income from as well as here.

Generally, you will report all the money as income. You will get a credit for taxes paid in other countries. You will always need to deal with your resident state. As to if you owe taxes in other states, you need to review that state's laws.

Sadly, the tax law is set up for brick and mortar businesses. The more modern internet era is still evolving tax wise as all the countries and states have set up a taxing scheme by using people who have no idea of what is actually happening and, if they do, they don't care a whit about compliance costs.

I do a lot of taxes and we have some international issues. Multi-state issues are difficult as well, because I have to look up everything when other states are involved. (There are some new practice rules regarding multi-states causing fees to be paid to each state practiced in.) Few have the experience to just know how certain income will be treated in difficult scenarios. I charge for my time to reject filing in another state as much as for making a filing. This sometimes angers the taxpayer as to why no return was required and yet they were billed for me not doing anything. (At least anything they saw.)

My point is that it may be expensive the first year. Spend the money and, if you are so inclined, do your own returns thereafter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">