• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fund raiser

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

worthspending

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I am trying to help a single mom by doing some fund raising for her.

A large fast food chain has offered to help with a fund raiser to help this single mom.

The fast food chain requires a W-9 tax form.

The single mom does not have a Federal Tax ID, but, I do as I have an LLC.

The chain has agreed to use my information and give me a check, however, the money will really be going to the single mom. I'm simply going to donate it to her. I'm told this will be all tax free, however, I just want to ensure that I handle the transfer of money correctly.

1. fund raiser take place.
2. I receive a check and my Fed Tax ID is associated with this transaction.
3. I deposit the check into my business account.
4. I write a check to pay for building materials for the single mom.

What problems am I looking at?

tranquility

There is nothing tax free about your plan.

No one is getting a deduction for the money as it is not a charitable donation.

LdiJ

There is nothing tax free about your plan.

No one is getting a deduction for the money as it is not a charitable donation.
I agree...

You see people making gifts by sending money to a special bank account set up for victims of various tragedies. However, none of those gifts are tax deductible. They are simply non-taxable gifts.

The gift is going directly from the giver, to the individual.

However, by the fast food chain taking the money into their system, and then giving you a check, you create a problem for both the fast food chain, and for yourself. It ends up being taxable income to both of you, but a gift from you to the end recipient.

I don't know what kind of fundraiser is being done, but if there could be a way to have the money go directly to the recipient, from the givers that would resolve the problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">