• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

future spouse has IRS debt-am I at risk?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

ninapinta

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? RI but I just moved here
Hi,
My fiance has IRS debt that is unresolved--he has a lawyer but has not yet reached an "offer and compromise", as he has termed it. We are getting married very soon--in @ 5 weeks. The deal won't be in place by then. I have some assets--$ I inherited from my grandmother. Is my nest egg at risk? If so, should we get a prenup or go through with the appearance of the wedding (big event planned) but not actually make it legal until after he gets an agreement with the IRS? Or am I protected because he incurred this debt before we met?
Thanks!
Nina

Snipes5

Keep your assets separate. No joint bank accounts. No joint tax returns. No joint anything until the debt is completely gone.

I also suggest you don't get married until the Offer In Compromise is accepted and paid, and the issue is closed.

Snipes

ALSO>>>>>

Nothing predicts future behavior better than past behavior.
My advice... keep an eye on your future husband, and don't sign any tax returns until you go over everything.

Remember, ignorance will not be a valid excuse to the IRS for any future obligations you fail to pay while married....

Good luck

abezon

I like your idea of going through the appearance of a wedding without actually making it official until the tax matter is resolved. Do not mingle your assets & be sure to set up your withholding so that you owe a little money at the end of the year. That way you can avoid the problems of getting the IRS to give you your refund while he loses his refund.

Also, the IRS could consider your assets when determining how much disposable income your finace has to send to them.

On the past behaviour predicts future behaviour note: why didn't he deal with this earlier? He knew his financil problems would affect you once you got married.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">