• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gains from Partnership and Small Business Stock

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pogo_80

What is the name of your state? IL

I'm in the process of a potential buyout and was wondering if anyone could give me any insight to the capital gain ramifications.

1. I'm selling shares in a small C Corporation. The sale will be for 1 million and my basis is 300k. I don't qualify for the 1/2 exclusion for the sale of small business stock. Would the gain be 15%?

2. I'm also selling my interest in an LLC, which holds commerical rental property and collects rental income. The sale will be for 1 million and my basis is approx 400k. Would the gain be 15% (outside the depreciation recapture) or ordinary income?

Also, if the sale is to a family member, does this pose any problems such as selling property to a family member who will continue to take depreciation on the buildings?

Thank you so much!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">