• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

garnished for 2000-2001 1099

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needsomehelp74

I am in Massachusetts and several months ago I was garnished at a rate of 1000 dollars a month. I am going to H&R Block this month to get that tax return filled out and hope that the IRS garnished me for too much money and get some sort of return.

Here is the info, I was an independent contractor and it was my responsibility to pay the taxes myself. I would like to know what I should expect from H&R Block and what should I tell them I am allowed to deduct. Since I was self employed I am told that I can deduct everything that pertained to the business, , i.e. car, mileage, meals, portion of house and other things. . Can anyone tell me what else I should tell them to deduct and why ? ??

Please help

LdiJ

needsomehelp74 said:
I am in Massachusetts and several months ago I was garnished at a rate of 1000 dollars a month. I am going to H&R Block this month to get that tax return filled out and hope that the IRS garnished me for too much money and get some sort of return.

Here is the info, I was an independent contractor and it was my responsibility to pay the taxes myself. I would like to know what I should expect from H&R Block and what should I tell them I am allowed to deduct. Since I was self employed I am told that I can deduct everything that pertained to the business, , i.e. car, mileage, meals, portion of house and other things. . Can anyone tell me what else I should tell them to deduct and why ? ??

Please help
What you can deduct are any legitimate business expenses. Anything that you had to buy or pay for in order to do the work. Special work clothing is an example...materials...insurance specifically for the business...license fees...tools and other equipment...etc.

Mileage would only be included in that if you had to drive back and forth between job sites or to obtain materials. Meals WOULD not be included unless you had to work out of town.

You may have a legitimate home office deduction if you actually had to work out of your home....however the IRS is really tough on those, and if you include that your return will be scrutinized heavily, and many home office deductions are disallowed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">