• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting mortgage from my parents and tax deduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kutmasta

New York

I have a question. I have a mortgage for my coop. Since the mortage charge so much interest, I may be able to borrow money from my parents and pay off.

After payoff, I have to start paying back to my parents monthly just like mortage. Now, can I still get tax deduction by paying back to my parents? I will be still paying the low interests to them, also. Is it still considered having mortage and get benefit from it tax wise?

If so, whad do i need to prove that? Is bank statement saying I paid XXX money to my parents good enought?

thank you for your advice.What is the name of your state?

tranquility

Have your parents make a note, with the property as security, on the loan. The income to them (of the interest) will be deductable to you.

tranquility

That is a little harder question than it seems. I'll say, to avoid imputed interest, you need to have at least the applicable federal rate. Right now, I believe it's a little under 5%.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">