• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting paid partially in earmarked funds (quasi giftcard)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

faitdumal

I participate as a seller in an e-commerce scheme that splits my receipts into cash and electronic points. Example: a buyer pays $10 to transact with me, $9 of which go into my checking account and $1 into an electronic account as points (transaction through the e-commerce intermediary). Points do not convert 1 to 1 to $ and cannot be redeemed for cash, but only used as a quasi gift card at participating retailers. How am I to treat this from a tax perspective?

Silverplum

I participate as a seller in an e-commerce scheme that splits my receipts into cash and electronic points. Example: a buyer pays $10 to transact with me, $9 of which go into my checking account and $1 into an electronic account as points (transaction through the e-commerce intermediary). Points do not convert 1 to 1 to $ and cannot be redeemed for cash, but only used as a quasi gift card at participating retailers. How am I to treat this from a tax perspective?
What is the name of your state? US law only.

LdiJ

Part of it will determine how the payer handles the transaction. I am nearly certain that the payer will report the entire 10.00 per transaction on a 1099 Misc, which will require you to report the entire amount as gross income on your Schedule C. However, since the 1 dollar "points" are not a 1 dollar to 1 dollar ratio, you could record an expense on your Schedule C for the reduction in the buying power of that 1 dollar.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Part of it will determine how the payer handles the transaction. I am nearly certain that the payer will report the entire 10.00 per transaction on a 1099 Misc, which will require you to report the entire amount as gross income on your Schedule C. However, since the 1 dollar "points" are not a 1 dollar to 1 dollar ratio, you could record an expense on your Schedule C for the reduction in the buying power of that 1 dollar.
What does form 1099 Misc do in Canada?

Zigner

Huh? This is another one of your cryptic comments that not everybody gets.
7 minutes before you posted, it was pointed out that the OP didn't provide a state or even a country that s/he is from. Then, you posted adviced that is United States specific. We don't know if the OP is even from the US.

LdiJ

7 minutes before you posted, it was pointed out that the OP didn't provide a state or even a country that s/he is from. Then, you posted adviced that is United States specific. We don't know if the OP is even from the US.
He doesn't spell like a Canadian or a Brit. His English is too good to be from a non-English speaking country. The question isn't state specific either.

Zigner

He doesn't spell like a Canadian or a Brit. His English is too good to be from a non-English speaking country. The question isn't state specific either.
Yes, I agree. It still doesn't change the fact that the OP didn't tell us even the name of the country he's posting from. Right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">