• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gift from an Alien to an US Permanent Resident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bruceharrison

Hi,
I am a permanent US resident. My close family who are aliens (Non-US residents) would like to gift me around $150K. I know I will have to file form 3520 and I will not be taxable for this. But, my primary question is, can I bring it as cash and declare it at the customs and fill-out FinCEN105 ?. Because I fill-up FinCEN105 and declare it, will I get into some legal/tax snafu?

Should I expect some inquiry? Should I have any other documents to support me?

Any first hand experience with people who have done this before ?

Thanks,
Bruce.

adjusterjack

I've never done it but common sense tells me it's a dumb idea to bring that kind of cash into the country that way even if it's for legitimate purposes.

If you and your relatives aren't willing to use a simple and secure wire transfer from their bank to yours I can only conclude that there is something nefarious going on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">