• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gift tax? ...or any other tax?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stilllearning

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My aunt who is currently 92 and being cared for by my wife and me at our home has some money in her savings account and would like to pay off our home mortgage, ...would we be liable for any gift tax or any other tax if she did this? ...And would it make a difference if she did this with her check or just gave us the funds? ...thanks much.

Last edited:

LdiJ

stilllearning said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

My aunt who is currently 92 and being cared for by my wife and me at our home has some money in her savings account and would like to pay off our home mortgage, ...would we be liable for any gift tax or any other tax if she did this? ...And would it make a difference if she did this with her check or just gave us the funds? ...thanks much.
You would not be liable for any gift taxes. Depending on how much money is involved your aunt may have to file a gift tax return, but wouldn't necessarily be liable for any actual tax. She can gift up to 11k to each of you (you and your wife) each year without having to file a gift tax return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">