• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gift Tax Law to Parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

itgonerain

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi,

I am an adult and would like to transfer over $20K to my parents bank account. After reading the gift tax laws, I am still confused about how it works.

So if I transfer $30K, what are next steps?
Parents receive the full $30K in their bank account. First $13K is not taxed.
- So at the end of 2010, parents need to fill out tax form and pay taxes on $17K?
- Also, would I deduct the $30K from my gross income in 2010 and get a tax benefit?

I guess the bigger question is post transfer & at the end of the year, between my parents increased taxes and my decreased taxes, is there a net loss or would we combined break even.

Thanks!
Tony

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi,

I am an adult and would like to transfer over $20K to my parents bank account. After reading the gift tax laws, I am still confused about how it works.

So if I transfer $30K, what are next steps?
Parents receive the full $30K in their bank account. First $13K is not taxed.
- So at the end of 2010, parents need to fill out tax form and pay taxes on $17K?
- Also, would I deduct the $30K from my gross income in 2010 and get a tax benefit?

I guess the bigger question is post transfer & at the end of the year, between my parents increased taxes and my decreased taxes, is there a net loss or would we combined break even.

Thanks!
Tony
Frequently Asked Questions on Gift Taxes

Very good information above.

You can make a gift to each parent of 13,000 in 2009 and the exclusion would apply.

YOU (the donor) would pay the tax (if applicable) and file the return, not the donee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">