• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gift Tax question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drewmaster

What is the name of your state?MASSACHUSETTS / PENNSYLVANIA

I just read the following on the "freeadvice" website:

"Taxable gifts generate a Gift Tax. But Gift Tax is not due until you give away over $1,000,000 in your lifetime."

Can someone please confirm that I can give a relative a gift of over $11K and not have ANY tax consequences whatsoever?? (This is assuming that I do not give away over a million dollars in my lifetime, which I won't). Also, why would this loophole exist? It doesn't seem to make much sense.

Thank you.
DC

anteater

drewmaster said:
Can someone please confirm that I can give a relative a gift of over $11K and not have ANY tax consequences whatsoever?? (This is assuming that I do not give away over a million dollars in my lifetime, which I won't). Also, why would this loophole exist? It doesn't seem to make much sense.Thank you.
DC
Depends: potential size of your estate, what happens with the estate tax, etc. Take a look at Pub 950 and note the interaction of gift tax and estate tax unified credit.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p950.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">