• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gift vs Bonus for Independent Contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blackbetty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Montana

I am an independent contractor. I am contracted annually, paid monthly via check as well as a percentage of commissions earned by my clients. I received a single check for $25,000 from 3 of my clients. I am told it is a year end gift. I am also told by a 3rd party that this will be considered income and taxed. As I read through the IRS FAQ for Gift Taxes https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Frequently-Asked-Questions-on-Gift-Taxes#2 I am unsure if I will be taxed on this additional cash. I am not an employee. I pay my own taxes, insurance, supplies, etc., I work at my own pace and can come and go as I please. I file my annual taxes as such. Am I correct in understanding that the $25,000.00 would technically be split 3 ways equaling $8,333.33 gifted by each of the 3 individual and should be reported as such?

Thanks for your help in advance.
BB

FlyingRon

A "gift" of that magnitude is definitely income and subject to tax. Doesn't make any difference if you are an employee or an independent contractor. You need to report this on your schedule C just like any other sum of money you get from your customers.

LdiJ

A "gift" of that magnitude is definitely income and subject to tax. Doesn't make any difference if you are an employee or an independent contractor. You need to report this on your schedule C just like any other sum of money you get from your customers.
I agree. It is equivalent to a "tip". It is absolutely NOT a non-taxable gift.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">