• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gifted, regifted and then donated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jpony

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL
My father gave me his '90 van in '98. :D If I give it back to him and he donates it to a non-profit charity can he take a tax write off. When he gave it to me, we transfered title and I've paid for all the taxes and tags since then.

LdiJ

Jpony said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL
My father gave me his '90 van in '98. :D If I give it back to him and he donates it to a non-profit charity can he take a tax write off. When he gave it to me, we transfered title and I've paid for all the taxes and tags since then.
Yes, as long as he titles and registers it in his name before donating it.

However.....a 15 year old van has little value, and will provide a minimal tax break for your dad. It may cost him more to title and register it than he will recieve in tax savings.

Jpony

Thanks
It's a conversion van in great condition and retail is around $5,000 but the dealer only offered me $1,000. So I figured with my Dad in the 33% he makes a couple of extra bucks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">