• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gotta love 'em

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jessica05

What is the name of your state? Washington

Snipes! I need help! I just emerged from an excise tax audit and I think I'm about to slip into psychogenic shock. I have a very small software business (basically me and the cat). We create a multimedia software product (audio, video, graphics, code) then sell it to a publisher. The publisher duplicates our product, packages, markets and sells between 5 and 50,000 copies, sending us a (piddling) royalty to supplement our up-front payment.

The State of Washington (God bless 'em) said today that by producing that software I am providing a custom service to that publisher and "I owe an additional 5k in taxes (at the higher service rate) and please remit soon and thank you for your patronage". I cry "fie!" because a custom service is when I write a single specific code to help a single customer. For example, I use if-then routines to help Sam's dog Fido master higher physics. Manufacturing is when I write code that ten thousand college students discover in the back of their textbooks. Pre-written software, in my book. Ironically, the State of Washington called it manufacturing too when I called them ten years ago and asked them, but a whole lot of good that is going to do me now.

The auditor was really no help – he mumbled something about the 5k, then was out the door with a "you'll hear from us". What do I do? I feel like I should be looking for the gun and the stick-up note. Are they right? Jess

Snipes5

Unfortunately, this seems to be more a legal question than a tax question. Although I am a WA resident, I have little to no excise tax experience. My expertise is in IRS issues.

I would suggest you seek the help of a Tax Attorney licensed in WA to help you sort this out.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">