• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gov. Tax Offsets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

epic1231

What is the name of your state?NJ

Hi there, I had filed my taxes this year through H&R Block. I had owed the IRS about $2 which i knew and expected them to take from my $5,600+ return.

Apperently I had two Student Loans out that I had put in for a forbarence but it was rejected before i had move and the loans went into Fed Default. I started making payment on them about 3-4 months ago and they will come out of Fed. Default after 12 consecutive month payments which I am fine with since it was my fault i did not follow through.

I have not recieved my tax refund yet though (the balance) and I was told that there is a good chance the government may offset the remaining balance for the Student Loans i have even though i am making payment on good faith and working to fix the problem.

Has anyone around here ever had the same situation and what was the result, I have spent hours on the phone with the IRS, Dept of Ed and the Loan collection People and noone can seem to tell me where the remaining balance of my money is and i'm sort of getting antsy to find out at least one way or another.

Any information would be appreciated.

Warm Regards,
Bill

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">