• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H&R Block

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajohnston

My brother is self employed and has had H&R Block complete his taxes for approximately 5 years. He always pays extra for their "guarantee".

He received a letter from the IRS stating he owed approx $2000 because he hadn't reported all of his income. (He does almost 100% of his work through a local bank fixing their properties)

I looked at his last year taxes to see where the problem was. The bank had given him a print out which he took to H&R Block. On the print out it had 4 columns: cust name, Total paid out, amount of supplies and amount of actual labor. The labor+supplies = total paid

The tax preparer (CPA) transposed the wrong numbers....instead of the actual amount paid to my brother (actual income) he put only the labor amount as what was paid to him. Then deducted the cost of supplies from this.

Called H&R Block and went in to show the mistake. Less than 4 days later my brother received a check for $68!

What can he do? We callled them and they said that is their settlement

ecmst12

If the $2000 is money he should have paid in the first place based on the correct numbers, and he isn't being required to pay any penalties or fees, then I don't know what more he expects.

TinkerBelleLuvr

They won't pay the TAX, but H&R block will cover the penalty. Your brother had use of the money, therefore responsible for the interest.

tranquility

Write a letter to H&R block telling them how you fulfilled all the requirements of both their guarantee and of the paid for Piece of Mind guarantee. List all actions and timelines in the letter. Supply a copy of the original paperwork given to the tax preparer (unlikely to be a CPA) and a copy of the error in the return and IRS determination. Include the amount of tax owed, the interest and the penalties owed because of their error.

Did they supply an explanation with the check as to why they were not holding up their end of the contract?

FlyingRon

They won't pay the TAX, but H&R block will cover the penalty. Your brother had use of the money, therefore responsible for the interest.
The added price "Piece of Mind" guarantee covers TAX up to $5,500 and would seem to cover exactly the sort of thing he's discovered.

hrblockjason

Your Brother

Hello,

My name is Jason, I am a Social Media and Customer Service Representative for H&R Block. Please have your brother email us at [email protected] so we may discuss this with him further and see what we may do for him.

Sincerely,

Jason
H&R Block Social Media Team

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">