• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H1B and reclaiming taxed award money from athletic race? 1099?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RaceawardandH1B

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I am Canadian working in the U.S. with an H1B Visa. I am an amateur athlete, and regularly run races and win prize money - sometimes winning large-ish amounts , e.g. $500. Although under $600, the race director taxed me $150 on the total amount (thus a 30% tax). They also incorrectly issued me a 1042S assuming that I'm a non resident which is NOT the case (I am a resident for tax purposes, which they don't understand). In any case, I would like to claim the prize money so I can recover $70 back from the amount that was taken from me in tax (I would then have to ask the race director to issue me the proper 1099 instead). I know it sounds like a paltry amount but this is the second year that this has happened and I would like my money back as it is a lot to me, and, I'd like to tdo this on a matter of principle and for future races.

My question is - AM I legally ALLOWED TO WIN PRIZE MONEY and claim it on my 1040 tax return? In effect, I did "earn" this money - though not in my professional field or work. Is this illegal (as it may be considered "work" outside of my employment as stipulated in my H1B? Should I submit a form 1099 for my athletic award with my 1040 tax return?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

You can win the money, but you still have to pay taxes on it. The only thing you might have been able to escape if you'd done things properly is the "backup" withholding to make sure you paid the tax.

List the income and the withheld amount on your tax returns and things will settle out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">