• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H1B travel question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bogdan.neacsa

Hello,

I'm currently working on a H1B visa in California. My company is very flexible with working remotely so I kind of want to plan on seeing more of the US next year and was thinking on using something like AirBnb or short term leases to jump from place to place, most likely 2-3 months between different states (Colorado, Oregon, Texas, Montana and New York).

I'm curious how this will impact the taxes situation for me, as I won't actually have a permanent residence anywhere. Will I still have to play taxes to California since this is where my company is based in? Will I be able to just claim any of the states I'm staying in and pay based on that or will I just pay based on the state I'm going to reside at the end of the tax year?

Thank you,
Bogdan

FlyingRon

You have immigration issues to start with. Your H-1B authorization is for a specific work location and while it's nice your company is willing to let you be an itinerant each move has to be amended (minor some exception for certain business trips, training etc,...).

Tax wise, if you are just temporarily assigned in another state you probably can remain on the taxation of your "home" address. If you actually take up residence in the new state, you'll have to pay taxes there. You'll have partial year tax returns in each place you didn't spend the full year (some states have a special partial year form and others just prorate things on their regular form). Your employer however should be withholding taxes based on your state of residence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">