• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicapped child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mikeymal

What is the name of your state? Illinois Hi All, I have a seventeen year old daughter who is mentally and physically handicapped. She lives with my wife and I and will for a long while. We were her sole supporter her whole life and will continue to do so. She is currently enrolled in a special program at a high school in the area. My question is " can I claim her as a dependent?" She turned seventeen on Juyl 24th. She cant work so she cant file her own tax return. Im really lost on this one. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Illinois Hi All, I have a seventeen year old daughter who is mentally and physically handicapped. She lives with my wife and I and will for a long while. We were her sole supporter her whole life and will continue to do so. She is currently enrolled in a special program at a high school in the area. My question is " can I claim her as a dependent?" She turned seventeen on Juyl 24th. She cant work so she cant file her own tax return. Im really lost on this one. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Of course you can claim her as a dependent. You could claim her as a dependent even if she wasn't mentally and physically challenged. The dependency exemption does not go away at age 17. Normally the dependency exemption goes away at age 19, or 24 if they are a full time student. In your case, the dependency exemption will probably never go away, because your child is challenged.

However, the child tax credit does go away at age 17. Therefore, you will not be able to claim that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">