• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hasn't filed for five years!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?The short version is: what happens to people who don't file their personal income taxes, but don't owe any money (a refund would have been due)?

If you want the details:

I have a friend in South Carolina who has not filed his personal income tax (state or Federal) for the past four or five years. Due to his circumstances, I believe he would have been due a refund each of those years. Of course, I don't know that for sure, by my question is based on the assumption that he would have.

Whether you owe them or they owe you, you can't, of course, just not file. There's got to be some (well-deserved) penalty, but is it reasonable to expect that he might still receive at least a portion of the refunds he should have been receiving? If he can pretty much kiss that money goodbye, what other problems is he facing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">