• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Haven't done taxes for 10 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DonWanDelanooch

What is the name of your state? Utah

What should I do if I haven't done my taxes for 10 years? I need to get my life back in order and this is one issue I need to deal with. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

xylene

Also define what you mean by done?

You haven't PAID your taxes or you haven't FILED your tax returns or BOTH?

xylene

I have failed to do my tax returns. I have had my tax deductions made from my earnings though.
OK, not so bad.

This is possible to get caught up on.

You need a lawyer to help you with understanding where you stand with the IRS.

You need an accountant to file the needed returns.

There may be penalties, and you will have lost many tax advantages.

Is your circumstance criminal? I can't say from what you have stated.

expect to spend a few bucks unraveling this.

This is not a diy project.

irsos

I have failed to do my tax returns. I have had my tax deductions made from my earnings though.
I have many people come to me who have not filed in a few years and they are terrified of the possible consequences. While I do not want to make light of the situation, the fact is, if you come forward and file your delinquent tax returns, the chances of any problems beyond the penalties and interest are remote. The IRS does not prosecute late filers who come forward with their returns except in rare cases.

But how far back should you go? Well, the stock answer is, as far back as you have not filed. This is naive however. How far back you should go depends on the facts and circumstances of your case. But in general, you should go back six years unless:

(1) The IRS has filed a substitute for return against you for an earlier year and the liability they have calculated is much greater than if you filed the return.

or

(2) After the returns are filed, you will need to enter into an installment agreement or want to make an Offer In Compromise. This is because they will not generally consider either one if you have returns outstanding.

It may be that you do not have to file for some years if you did not have a filing requirement. The 1040 instructions will help you determine if you have a filing requirement.

Since may owe tax after the returns are filed, I recommend you hire an experienced professional to help you file the returns and deal with IRS collection issues. It is also possible you will not owe anything if your withholding has been sufficient. You may even be due refunds. Hurry, those refunds are disallowed after three years. 2004 is expiring in less than two weeks.

DonWanDelanooch

You people are great! I really appreciate the advice being given. I have been very concerned about this. My reasons are not criminal. I had been bouncing from job to job for a while making little money. Skipped one year filing, then continued not filing because of the year I missed. Stupid...... I know, but I was young and took a while to grow up and get my sh!@ together. Anyway, I would like to remedy this ASAP. Any suggestions on where to find someone to help me through this??

Thanks again!

TinkerBelleLuvr

have you EVER filed a return? Do you have all the appropriate w-2s? have you ever been "self-employed" where you were issued 1099-Misc?

If you are missing tax information, you can request copies of them form the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

Now, you window of opportunity to file a return for 2004 AND get a refund ends 04/14/08. Anything before 2004 won't get you a refund. After 2004, you can get refund (if eligible.)

taxhelp

But how far back should you go? Well, the stock answer is, as far back as you have not filed. This is naive however. How far back you should go depends on the facts and circumstances of your case. But in general, you should go back six years unless:

(1) The IRS has filed a substitute for return against you for an earlier year and the liability they have calculated is much greater than if you filed the return.

or

(2) After the returns are filed, you will need to enter into an installment agreement or want to make an Offer In Compromise. This is because they will not generally consider either one if you have returns outstanding.
Are you saying number of years to file (back taxes) should be based on how much a person owes?
Why 6 years? Is it because, it is what the IRS have on file? Rest being archieved and difficult to get to?

What would an individual with no W2s and 1099s be doing? I have read that IRS might want learn how you lived without any income.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Utah

What should I do if I haven't done my taxes for 10 years? I need to get my life back in order and this is one issue I need to deal with. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks!
Others have told you to hire a tax attorney, but that expense may not be necessary. It really depends on your records and your type of income.

Take the records you have and go see a local tax pro. If your records are good, you can find out what your potential tax liability will be, and then decide whether or not to hire a tax attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">