• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Haven't paid taxes for 10 years self employed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

longerson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My boyfriend and I want to get married, but he hasn't filed or paid any taxes in 10 years. I don't know where to begin to help him with this problem. He has a small business and a business account that he deposits into every week, he even purchased a house 5 years ago, but he has still gone undetected.

If we get married before he resolves this issue will I be held responsible for his back taxes?

I know he needs to recreated the years before he can go to an accountant or lawyer.

What is the best way to start this process, and is there a step by step process that you can give me that will help us as we start this overwhelming and scary task?

Last edited:

Does he have records to be able to file the taxes?

If so , file the taxes. He'll have interest and penalties to pay of course.

Go see an accountant if you do not know how to complete the taxes.

TinkerBelleLuvr

You are NOT, nor will you be, legally liable for prior years. Do NOT have anything joint with soon-to-be hubby - not bank accounts, house, etc.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My boyfriend and I want to get married, but he hasn't filed or paid any taxes in 10 years. I don't know where to begin to help him with this problem. He has a small business and a business account that he deposits into every week, he even purchased a house 5 years ago, but he has still gone undetected.

If we get married before he resolves this issue will I be held responsible for his back taxes?

I know he needs to recreated the years before he can go to an accountant or lawyer.

What is the best way to start this process, and is there a step by step process that you can give me that will help us as we start this overwhelming and scary task?
Step one: Pull the records together for the 10 years as best he can.

Step two: Get the taxes prepared so that he knows exactly how much he owes.

Step three: Get a tax professional to help estimate the interest and penalties.

Step four: If the tax, interest and penalties are less than 25k. File the returns and set up an installment agreement with the IRS.

If they are more than 25k, get an appointment with a tax attorney. DO NOT hire one of those firms that advertises on TV.

Follow Tinker's advice. Do not own anything jointly with your future spouse or have any joint accounts at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">