• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Haven't received IRS notice for taxes due

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taco2015

I know, I should be glad the IRS hasn't sent me a notice yet, but I e-filed my return in mid-March, and my accountant said it was accepted, so I'm wondering why I haven't gotten a notice yet. I don't owe a ton, only about $1,200, and I don't owe from previous years.

I'm self-employed and things were tough the past several months, so when I filed, I figured I'd wait until I received the notice and would then contact them to set up a payment plan. I've owed in the past (and have paid it all in full), and from what I recall, I should have received a notice by now. (Last year I received a refund. I honestly don't remember if I owed or had a refund the year before that.)

I'm just wondering if I should be worried that I haven't gotten the notice for some reason, like maybe they're planning the dreaded "a word" or something else could be going on. (As someone who's self-employed, I realize my returns are more likely to be scrutinized.)

Thanks.

taco2015

Because I haven't been able to afford to do so. However, my income situation has finally started to improve, so my plan is to set up a payment plan as soon as I can. I was just wondering why they hadn't sent a notice yet. It seemed odd, and, yes, I started to feel a bit paranoid.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Because I haven't been able to afford to do so. However, my income situation has finally started to improve, so my plan is to set up a payment plan as soon as I can. I was just wondering why they hadn't sent a notice yet. It seemed odd, and, yes, I started to feel a bit paranoid.
It's only been <2 months. My advice is to be proactive, not reactive.

LdiJ

I know, I should be glad the IRS hasn't sent me a notice yet, but I e-filed my return in mid-March, and my accountant said it was accepted, so I'm wondering why I haven't gotten a notice yet. I don't owe a ton, only about $1,200, and I don't owe from previous years.

I'm self-employed and things were tough the past several months, so when I filed, I figured I'd wait until I received the notice and would then contact them to set up a payment plan. I've owed in the past (and have paid it all in full), and from what I recall, I should have received a notice by now. (Last year I received a refund. I honestly don't remember if I owed or had a refund the year before that.)

I'm just wondering if I should be worried that I haven't gotten the notice for some reason, like maybe they're planning the dreaded "a word" or something else could be going on. (As someone who's self-employed, I realize my returns are more likely to be scrutinized.)

Thanks.
If your return was e-filed you absolutely should have received a bill by now. Can you verify with the accountant that it was e-filed and accepted? I would do that first. If you can verify it has been accepted then you can contact the IRS to set up an installment plan.

taco2015

When I asked my accountant about it, he said it was e-filed and accepted on March 17. Is it possible the IRS could have dropped the ball somewhere after that?

Also, it has been almost 3 months since it was filed, not less than 2 months.

Yes, I know I should be proactive with it. If my income situation the past several months had been better, I would have done that. Unfortunately, I was struggling financially during that time, so I didn't want to get into a payment plan and then not be able to make the payments. I figured I would wait until getting the notice from the IRS -- Since I would have 30 days from then to set up a plan, that would at least buy me some time if I was still struggling.

However, things are finally starting to look up, which is great, so I should be able to commit to a plan. But then I realized, hey, it's been a while since I filed the return and I haven't gotten a notice yet -- I recall getting a notice within a month, maybe two, of filing in the past, when I owed money. Could that be a bad thing?

I posted here figuring some people might have experience with this kind of thing.

I guess it's a moot point since I should be able to set up a plan soon. I was just curious.

LdiJ

It's been less than 2 months since it is due.
It doesn't take the IRS that long to send out a bill. Thirty days is usually the max...its been 50. My first concern was that it had been rejected and the OP was not aware of it. Since he has confirmed that it has been accepted, then I would now suggest that he use the payment voucher his accountant gave him, to send in something towards it. If it has just somehow got hung up in the system, a payment should jog it loose.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It doesn't take the IRS that long to send out a bill. Thirty days is usually the max...its been 50. My first concern was that it had been rejected and the OP was not aware of it. Since he has confirmed that it has been accepted, then I would now suggest that he use the payment voucher his accountant gave him, to send in something towards it. If it has just somehow got hung up in the system, a payment should jog it loose.
Fair enough - in any case, as I said, it's better to be proactive than reactive.

taco2015

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Unless someone has different advice, sounds like I should get the payment plan set up ASAP and take it from there. I guess some kind of glitch in the system prevented the notice from being generated.

davew128

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Unless someone has different advice, sounds like I should get the payment plan set up ASAP and take it from there. I guess some kind of glitch in the system prevented the notice from being generated.
Or more likely it got lost in the mail or mixed up in mail that got thrown out.

taco2015

Funny how this happens: The notice arrived in the mail on Friday. And things are progressing with a new opportunity, so I should have no problem getting a payment plan going.

Thanks again for the advice, all.

Or more likely it got lost in the mail or mixed up in mail that got thrown out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">