• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Head of Household

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

efouchey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I'm looking to find out if my mother-in-law owes 1500 or 15 and it comes down to the head of household line.

They divorced in 2008. One child lives with his dad, and one lives with his mother. The child with the mother is turned 20 during 2008. I'm not claiming him as dependent, but can we use him as qualifying his mom for the head of household? He made 4400 this summer when he went away to mackinaw for 3 months, but did not earn anything while staying at his mother's place.

Does this past test 2?
Please help, this one I'm having trouble getting my head around.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I'm looking to find out if my mother-in-law owes 1500 or 15 and it comes down to the head of household line.

They divorced in 2008. One child lives with his dad, and one lives with his mother. The child with the mother is turned 20 during 2008. I'm not claiming him as dependent, but can we use him as qualifying his mom for the head of household? He made 4400 this summer when he went away to mackinaw for 3 months, but did not earn anything while staying at his mother's place.

Does this past test 2?
Please help, this one I'm having trouble getting my head around.
If the child was still in school for at least one semester in 2008, and resides with his mother (except for the temporary absence for a summer job) then his mother should claim him as a dependent and claim him for head of household status.

If he was not in school, then he made too much money to be claimed as a dependent, and therefore cannot be used for head of household purposes either. In order to claim head of household, the person must be your dependent unless the child lives with you but is the dependent of their non-custodial parent for that year.

efouchey

Earnings threshold

What is the dollar figure for the 20 year old to be below? He was at 4400 and paid 800 for rent (if it matters)?

Thanks in advance ed

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">