• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are health ins prem pretaxed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pmasters

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? In Pa are health ins prem pretaxed for state and local?

swalsh411

They are pretax in PA for state income tax withholding if the employer has a qualified Section 125 plan. If they don't, then they are post-tax. The applicable code is 61 Pa. Code § 101.6(i).

LdiJ

I agree with the previous answers, however people should be aware that in the new health plans being put forth by congress, that its being considered to change all employee health insurance premiums to post tax.

Now, if they are post tax that allows a deduction on schedule A if medical expenses, including insurance, exceed 7 1/2 percent of adjusted gross income. However....they are also considering changing the 7 1/2 percent figure to 10%.

TinkerBelleLuvr

oh would that stink. Now, we've bad year, and it looks like I might be able to claim medical this year. That is in spite of having health insurance. I couldn't imagine having to bear the cost of that too.

LdiJ is correct, of course. (When I differ with her it seems more of fact/theory difference than a law one.) However, no one knows what will happen behind closed doors. Whatever passes will change your life. Really. CHANGE YOUR LIFE.

How we handle health care will be huge. Taxes will only be one part of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">