• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2rcracers

MO

I filed a new w4 with my employer in january of 05, and it did not get submitted to the accountant and now i owe lots of tax. What can i do? Is there anything that i can do?

thanks

efflandt

You might be safe if you make an estimated federal tax payment (1040-ES) by Jan 17 to bring remaining tax owed to less than $1000. Since by the time you read this that might be today, you may need to do electronic payment. See http://www.irs.gov/publications/p505/index.html or search IRS for "estimated tax payment".

If you owe the feds more than $1000 any later than that, there might be a penalty. Underwithholding limit for state income tax can vary by state.

Didn't you notice that your paycheck or taxes did not change? I changed my W-4 to cover IRA to Roth IRA conversion, but first ran a spreadsheet to see how many exemptions I needed to reduce (mid-year) to not owe too much. I updated the spreadsheet when the W-4 change actually took effect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">