• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help this child with college?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Grandma9

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
My granddaughter (age 19) has a College Illinois fund which her mother controls and threatens to withdraw every time they have a disagreement. But her mother is not contributing any other funds to her living or college expenses (she is covered on her stepfather's health insurance, which she needs). My husband & I contributed quite a bit of support to her this last year and will have to do so next year to help keep her in school. Her father does give her $200 a month to help with minor expenses, but otherwise she is expected to work to support herself. I am wondering whether she will be able to claim herself for tax purposes, whether we can have some kind of deduction for our contributions and how she can be sure her mother isn't claiming to support her. They are not on good terms and asking her mother about this would only make matters worse for our granddaughter.

She also cannot qualify for a lot of scholarships and other programs since her parents are both financially well set, but she is really struggling and we are not able to provide additional support. How can she prove they are not helping her and that she must provide for herself?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

davew128

Crystal ball is fuzzy. Try again 1/1/10.

Translation: We have no idea what the relevant facts will be when it comes time to prepare the tax return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">