• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP! Haven't filed in over 10 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JanBee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

In 1994 my daughter (then age 14) was permanently disabled. I was the single mom of 2 and we went through 5 years of pure poverty...foreclosure,food stamps,AFDC. From 1994 to 1999 I filed each year as head of household and received a refund even though I didn't even pay in to the system.
In 1999 my mother passed away and my grandfathers trust, lifetime trust for my mother, was dissolved. The investments, Treasury Bonds, were liquidated and the cash was distributed among the children but all the property was retained and a partnership was formed with our cousins. To this day I get a monthly check from the rental income minus taxes and upkeep on the property and fees to the property mgmt co. The money varies from month to month depending on what expenses are.
In 2000 I took my 1040 and all the information about the dissolution of the trust to my CPA. This is the man who had been doing my taxes since before my daughters injury.He looked at everything and said I didn't need to file. So I left and haven't filed since. I got a 1040 the next year and never got another.

The property income has varied from $8,500 to $11,900 a year. This is the only taxable income I have and it constitutes about 20% of the household income. The remainder is child support (lifetime for my daughter),SSI (my daughters) and Foster Care payments (for my daughter/5 years ago my daughter became eligible for a state program as I am her only caregiver and she has remained at home).
Two years ago I built and moved her into a 100% accessible home to make it easier for me to continue caring for her. I make the mortgage payment, pay the taxes and upkeep but the home is in a irrevocable trust in my daughters name.
Last month, Dec '09, I had to buy Handicap Van #3 (there is no sales tax on converted wheelchair vans in TX) and now I have that payment each month. I paid off HCVan #1 financed in 1995 and paid for HCVan #2 bought in 1999 with the money I inherited. I maintain a pickup truck for personal use.
I am wondering if I should file taxes this year or will that be a red flag. I cannot afford a lawyer or to pay back taxes as the new van has taken every bit of extra income I had. We are once again on the edge financially.
Help what should I do? Is the IRS looking for me?

FlyingRon

The good news is that I presume whoever is managing the property is paying the property taxes on that before remitting the checks to you. The good news is that if all you're worrying about is income tax, you probably don't have much back tax liability. At $11,000 annual income and staggering care costs for the disabled child, you just don't have much. If you worked at all you might even have qualified from some tax credits like EIC if you'd have bothered to file.

I don't think you need a lawyer, just a good tax professional, as LIDJ says, find one whose in business all year long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">