• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help - Scummy ex employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justmelisamarie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I worked for a company from Sept 2006 to March 2007 - they provided me a 1099 in 2006 for what I made with them - I helped them to set up payroll systems starting January 1st 2007 - the entire time I worked for them in 2007 I was paid through this payroll system. I recieved a W2 from them to file my taxes with - I made approx $500 per week with a monthly bonus around $500 by the time I quit - I quit for many reasons- most of them ethical - NOW just yesterday I recieved an adjustment from the IRS - They have claimed they sent me a 1099 for 2007, I never received it and have lived at the same address the entire time. First I made no additional monies with them other than what was paid through the payroll system, which I recieved a W2 for. Second they are claiming I made $17,491.00 dollars with them in 2007 additional to the amount on the W2. I have authorized the IRS to contact them to dispute the 1099 - HOWEVER- because I know that these people are not ethical upstanding honest people I am very worried. My bank statements will reflect that I had another job, which I did claim and file taxes on that income. How can I fight this? IRS says if the employer comes back and says I made this income I will have to pay the tax bill of over $9,000.00 SE tax on this $17,000 --- my father says that I may need to get a lawyer -- I have since changed careers and work as a nurse aid making only $9 per hour.. I am in school for nursing AND a single mother with no income from anyone comming in but me -- I can barely afford my bills and diapers on my daughter -- I have no money for a lawyer. Please how can I defend myself from this huge lie that could bankrupt me?

irsos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I worked for a company from Sept 2006 to March 2007 - they provided me a 1099 in 2006 for what I made with them - I helped them to set up payroll systems starting January 1st 2007 - the entire time I worked for them in 2007 I was paid through this payroll system. I recieved a W2 from them to file my taxes with - I made approx $500 per week with a monthly bonus around $500 by the time I quit - I quit for many reasons- most of them ethical - NOW just yesterday I recieved an adjustment from the IRS - They have claimed they sent me a 1099 for 2007, I never received it and have lived at the same address the entire time. First I made no additional monies with them other than what was paid through the payroll system, which I recieved a W2 for. Second they are claiming I made $17,491.00 dollars with them in 2007 additional to the amount on the W2. I have authorized the IRS to contact them to dispute the 1099 - HOWEVER- because I know that these people are not ethical upstanding honest people I am very worried. My bank statements will reflect that I had another job, which I did claim and file taxes on that income. How can I fight this? IRS says if the employer comes back and says I made this income I will have to pay the tax bill of over $9,000.00 SE tax on this $17,000 --- my father says that I may need to get a lawyer -- I have since changed careers and work as a nurse aid making only $9 per hour.. I am in school for nursing AND a single mother with no income from anyone comming in but me -- I can barely afford my bills and diapers on my daughter -- I have no money for a lawyer. Please how can I defend myself from this huge lie that could bankrupt me?
The burden of proof is on the employer to prove thay paid you that amount - over and above the W-2. The IRS does not take their word for it - they must prove it through cancelled checks. Since their could be confusion because of the W-2 income thay CAN prove, you should hire a tax professional. An attorney is not necessary. You just need someone with experience in IRS collection work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">