• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP!! Tax form 8332

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gypsysoul

I signed tax form 8332 for a friend who is not a relative of anyway to my child nor did they support my child or live with my child at anytime. I signed the waiver to help them pay less in taxes but later thought better of my actions and told them not to go through with filing to which they agreed. Then when I went to file I was told my daughters SSN had already been used and I could not claim her and would have to mail my return if I thought there was a mistake. I did not want anyone to get in any trouble for anything so did not pursue it any further but I am not OK with them claiming my daughter and want to claim her on my taxes as I provided 100% all year for her and she lived with me 100% of the year. What can I do to fix this horrible mess and set things right and what are the consequences for the parties involved??

Silverplum

I signed tax form 8332 for a friend who is not a relative of anyway to my child nor did they support my child or live with my child at anytime. I signed the waiver to help them pay less in taxes but later thought better of my actions and told them not to go through with filing to which they agreed. Then when I went to file I was told my daughters SSN had already been used and I could not claim her and would have to mail my return if I thought there was a mistake. I did not want anyone to get in any trouble for anything so did not pursue it any further but I am not OK with them claiming my daughter and want to claim her on my taxes as I provided 100% all year for her and she lived with me 100% of the year. What can I do to fix this horrible mess and set things right and what are the consequences for the parties involved??
Pick one. You can't have all of what you say you want.

tranquility

The form does not have a jurat meaning you did not sign it under penalty of perjury. You can always file on paper and let the service decide. You may have a breach of contract suit on your hands. You also may have an investigation as to who has the right to claim the dependent.

Don't sign things you don't mean. I really messes everything up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">